Saturday 18 April 2015

My Life in Music

Hey everyone :)

Basically music is a really massive part of my life and I thought it would be cool to make a record of some of the most influential/inspirational pieces of music through my life so far. This is mainly for me because I think it would be cute to look back at this in 50 years time and remember all this music but I will put in some youtube clips so please have a read/listen because I am SO passionate about young people listening to classical music and there are some pretty epic pieces!



My first introduction to classical music was a CD my parents got me when I was about 5 of Peter and the Wolf and Carnival of the Animals. My favourite (and also most famous of these) was The Swan form Saint-Saen's Carnival of the Animals which I have linked bellow. It is such a beautiful piece and I guess one of the pieces that made me want to play a stringed instrument.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b44-5M4e9nI

Probably one of the most inspirational moments for me was playing with the Hampshire County Youth Orchestra for the first time. I was in the string training orchestra and for the 40th anniversary we joined with the main orchestra and played Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis by Vaughn Williams. I have linked a snippit of the rehearsal with HCYO because I find it really cool that I'm playing in it :')

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hgmjbc_5qo8

My next influential piece is also one we played with the Hampshire County Youth Orchestra. It was a very controversial at the time and was booed of stage! It is Stravinsky's Rite of Spring which was my first introduction to 20th century classical music. I remember hating it when we first started playing it by the end of the year I was completely in love with it. At first listen you'll probably think it sounds awful but I promise that after playing it for months the really strange rhythms and harmonies are so beautiful and emotional and eeeee I'm actually getting so excited just talking about it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRyd5zR_3Bc
I told you you'd think it was weird!

Next is Ravel's Mother Goose suite. This is meaningful to me for 2 reasons. Firstly it was one of the first pieces I played with the National Youth Chamber Orchestra of Great Britain which was one of the best experiences of my life and secondly it was the first piece of Ravel I'd played or properly listened to and he is now one of my favourite composers! This is a really light and relaxing piece and I think EVERYONE would love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3YGf7_8RWA

I could literally go on about amazing music forever but I am going to do just one more. Scene de Ballet by Beriot is a piece I started last year in preparation for my music college auditions. For me, this is the piece that really shows me how far I've come in the last few years. When my teacher first played it to me I thought there was no way I would ever be able to play it but I practised hours and hours every day trying to master the complicated techniques and awkward notes and not only can I now play it but it got me into Trinity Laban Conservatoire of music in London where I am going to study from September! Couldn't really have asked for much more! Plus it's a really amazing piece!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEFj1Gzyaew

I'm sure I'll do more posts in the future about music because it is my main love in life but for now I will leave you with these 5 pieces. I really hope you enjoy them!

Lots of Love xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment